Monday 17 February 2014

Every Day's a Baking Day

It seems as though I've been in the baking mood lately. Well, that and also we have too much ripe fruit laying around that my mom wants me to bake. I think I just have too much spare time right now since I don't have any homework to do, but I'm not complaining. About 30 minutes after I woke up, my mom asked me to do something with the bananas we had. They were so ripe they were almost all black, but that makes for a very sweet banana and perfect for baking. I had decided that I would just bake banana bread, but my mom thought differently.
My mom had rather I'd make banana muffins, so I just did as she told. Life's always simpler when you just go with the flow sometimes. These turned out quite great though! Out of the 16 I made this morning we only have 4 left! Banana bread or banana muffins are something that're constantly baked around this household because we tend to leave bananas a little too long and they get too ripe to eat raw.

The day before, my mom and I had gone shopping and bought these tangelos. My mom once tasted this sweet fruit that was a mix between an orange and a grapefruit and tangelos are a mix between tangerines and grapefruit so we had thought we bought the right fruit. We were wrong. These tangelos were so sour my mom and I could only eat about one or two segments before we gave up on them. Not wanting to waste them, of course, I looked up a few recipes for tangelos and came across tangelo muffins.  I decided that I'd bake them the same night as the banana muffins. 
I think tangelo muffins are my new favourite! They had this light orange flavour to them, although they only smelt of muffin mix. The fragrance is more in the taste than the scent. They were lovely though!  A very light muffin, almost like a pallet cleanser. These muffins were light, airy, and somewhat floral tasting. My mom and I definitely prefer these tangelo muffins over the actual tangelos.

After baking the muffins I went to shower. Once I finished my shower I sat around waiting for my hair to dry and realized that I have a lot of strawberries left over from the strawberry short cake I made the other day. Not wanting to waste it, I decided to make chocolate covered strawberries!
My sister loves anything that's sweet and a snack, actually she just loves anything that's food. I made a few more than the ones in the picture, but those didn't turn out as pretty so I kept those out. I prefer to use dark chocolate over milk chocolate for chocolate covered strawberries, that way the strawberries can use their own sweetness. Too sweet is sometimes too much!  These turned out well though.

So, in the end my day of baking consisted of banana muffins in the morning (aka 1pm), tangelo muffins in the evening at 9pm, and chocolate covered strawberries at night at 11pm. I have too much time on my hands, yet there's not enough hours in the day it seems.  



No comments:

Post a Comment